18 Kasım 2011 Cuma

Oryx and Crake

I don't know how healthy would it be to write about a book when you're only halfway through it but I still want to write a few words about this book - Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood.

Okay now, I've never read any works of Atwood until now. The only thing I knew about the book was that it had a post apocalyptic setting. Thats all. So I was expecting a lot of "chaotic stuff" in it (oh how i love labeling and having prejudice!) and got the first surprise in the very first page. The page was describing a tropical beach scene, how lively things they are in that setting. After reading many chapters, and getting into the story, I started to think that the beach that was described in the first page was author's "chaotic stuff", same thing that we know but in a different package. But then I find myself doubtful about this thought. Which one was more chaotic? A world with full of people, their corruption, their rules, their words, terms, science, culture or the absence of all these?

When Snowman went back to his memories, as a reader, I always wanted book to continue in that time period and never go back to it's present time. The funny thing is though, Snowman's "Jimmy days" were much more darker. So why did I want the book to continue in that time period then ? While the present day was more peaceful? I guess it's because there was more action in Jimmy's world. And it's very similar to our world, so I didn't feel alien in there.


Note : This entry might be updated after I finish the novel.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder